Below is my post about driving on the left side of the road. Tuesday night, I had my first solo experience driving when I had to drop someone off at the airport, then come home. I did so well and got through all the roundabouts on the way home without a hitch. I crossed the first bridge (to Tsing Yi),
and then ... I missed the turn to the next bridge. It comes up fast, around the corner, and when I saw it I was in the wrong lane and there was a car in the next lane so I couldn't get over. And there is nowhere to exit and do a turnaround from the highway, so I had to keep going. I decided, as annoying as it was, to head back to the airport since it's the only place I know how to get home from. But then I took another wrong turn. So in summary, I got very lost, late at night, did some illegal u-turns and other things, then made it back to the right highway and got home. And all the while I was using the blinker for the wrong directions because it's backwards and confusing. Oh well!
and then ... I missed the turn to the next bridge. It comes up fast, around the corner, and when I saw it I was in the wrong lane and there was a car in the next lane so I couldn't get over. And there is nowhere to exit and do a turnaround from the highway, so I had to keep going. I decided, as annoying as it was, to head back to the airport since it's the only place I know how to get home from. But then I took another wrong turn. So in summary, I got very lost, late at night, did some illegal u-turns and other things, then made it back to the right highway and got home. And all the while I was using the blinker for the wrong directions because it's backwards and confusing. Oh well!The other news is my friend Mark (who many of you know) came to visit. He lives in
northeastern China, and took a 36 hour train ride (it's a huge country!!) down to Hong Kong. He was only supposed to stay a few days, but couldn't get a return train ticket until today (Thursday) so his stay became a week. We've had fun doing the tourist thing, and he's done some work around Crossroads and been hanging out with my friends here. It's kind of weird to have someone from my 'other' life mixing with my life here, but it's very good and it's been a lot of fun.
northeastern China, and took a 36 hour train ride (it's a huge country!!) down to Hong Kong. He was only supposed to stay a few days, but couldn't get a return train ticket until today (Thursday) so his stay became a week. We've had fun doing the tourist thing, and he's done some work around Crossroads and been hanging out with my friends here. It's kind of weird to have someone from my 'other' life mixing with my life here, but it's very good and it's been a lot of fun.Now to work stuff. We take a lot of donated goods and give them back to the community. We wanted to start writing up these 'match stories' (as we call them) for the website, and possibly for some other things too. So I went today and met with a charity here that provides legal assistance to migrant workers who have had their rights abused. They provide these women with shelter as well as handle their court cases. Crossroads supplied the beds and other things to bring the shelter into existence. It was a really special time for me to meet with a recipient in person, and really see the impact our work has had on this organization and the people it works with.
So that's my story for the past few days. It keeps being busy, but it also keeps being an adventure.

3 comments:
we remember mark too!!
I am so glad you and Mark got hang out! Awwww...family!
You are so brave to try the driving thing. I am very impressed!
Post a Comment