Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Flooded!

As I've mentioned before, we have typhoon season here in Hong Kong. For two weeks it was raining constantly, with thunder and lightning and rivers flowing through the sidewalks. It cleared up for about four days, which was incredibly convenenient because we held a big, very impacting event for World Refugee Day last Friday, June 20, but I'll blog about that in another post.

So in those weeks of constant downpour, not to mention all the other storms we've had here before this, it hasn't really affected the indoors too much.
Until today.
We woke up, and part of our living room area was flooded, and all of Maz's room was flooded. We had to move all her things out and start mopping up. The water was seeping through the wall and the floorboards, so even after mopping, it was still coming in. We have lots of sopping wet towels hanging in various places to dry now, and all the books she had laying on the floor are also now trying to dry (she's taking a class by correspondence, so all her books were out so she could write an essay).

Maz had already committed to taking the kids here ice skating today as a holiday treat, so I told her I'd mop up for her so she could make the trek with the kids out to another part of the city for skating.
Now my hands hurt from wringing out the mop and towels so many times. The floor is still a little moist, but I think it should be ok. That is, of course, until it floods again.

I just toss this experience in the pile of all the new ways of life I'm learning here. It's all an adventure.

No comments: