Sunday, June 8, 2008

In Memoriam

I have two grandparents, which are my dad's parents. My grandfather has been battling cancer for some time. He had bladder cancer, then bone cancer. Last week he was taken in to hospice care, and was in so much pain he was praying for death.

He died on Saturday.

I was expecting the e-mail from my parents to let me know he'd passed away, but it doesn't make it any less sad to hear. It's been difficult getting this news while I'm so far away. I want to be there for my grandma, but I can't physically be there. I wish I could have visited my grandpa this year as we knew the end was coming, but I couldn't. I find myself wishing I'd seen them more these past few years, sent more cards, made more phone calls. But you can't change the past.

My parents were in Reno on Friday and gave him a message from me, that I love him and I'm thinking about him. I'm grateful he was able to hear that from me, even if it wasn't through me personally.

He was a loving, sweet guy and I have so many warm, happy memories spent with him and my grandma.

I'll miss him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Suzanne,
I read a book yesterday, title: "90 Minutes in Heaven". It's about a guy that dies. Experiences heaven and then is prayed back. He does his best to describe heaven with the limits of words which can not express the limitless beauty of heaven. I'm sure your grandfather is enjoying his new home.

If I've stepped over the line with this posting, feel free to hit the delete key. :)
archie

Kyle Burkholder said...

we know what that is like...being so far away and feeling a little bit helpless and a little bit removed from a significant point in your story over here. we know it isn't easy.

we will pray for you there and your family here.

we remember you.