While I was away over the holidays, another lady here noticed my doorknob wasn't working properly and had it fixed for me. I very much appreciated that, but it also means I have a new key and therefore no spare key hidden in a pot outside my door anymore. I knew eventually I would lock myself out.
I've started going to service on Sunday evenings instead of mornings, which is great because I do my laundry during the day since most other people on our team go to service in the mornings and are off in the city. This morning, I changed into my ratty clothes, stuffed my laundry bag with my washing, and trekked up to the laundry. I deposited my clothes into a washer, and trudged back to my third floor apartment in the heat. When I turned the handle to my apartment ... it was locked. I didn't take my keys with me to the laundry since it's not a long chore and I was coming right back. I was sooo mad at myself. And since it was Sunday morning, everyone was gone so I had no one to help me.
I headed over to where the offices are, and thankfully remembered we had just last week put a spare key to that building in a hidden spot. I recovered it, unlocked the door and went to the office of the lady who keeps track of the apartments and, I concluded, must have an extra key. I got into her office, located her keys to unlock the cupboard where she keeps everything (she's my neighbor and friend and I knew she'd be ok with this, so this wasn't the B&E I'm referring to.. that comes later), but of course, she had a master key to every apartment in my building except mine. This is because my lock is new and she hadn't made a spare yet. There is only one other key to my door, and it would normally have been with the masters, but I have a teacher from China staying in my apartment for a few days and she had the key, and was out for the day in the city.
So, I sat in the office, trying to think of what to do. I found a phone list and started calling people I thought might know where the master keys the maintenance guys have would be. Then I remembered a young couple nearby who also go to evening service and therefore might be home still. The husband of this couple - Steve - came over armed with two screwdrivers, his public transport card (sturdier than a credit card) and a thinner card (flimsier than a credit card). He started working at the lock. And, to my sheer joy, eventually got the slimmer card worked in and sprung open my door. He's a very upstanding citizen, and to my knowledge doesn't regularly break into people's houses, but I think he and I were both proud of his newfound skill, and I was certainly elated to get back in and not have to wait several hours, in my ratty clothes, sitting outside with nothing to do.
I love being able to lean on people, and am so blessed when they are willing to help. Yay for people who make the effort to serve others!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Wish I could have been there. I'm sure on my wad of keys, I have one that would have fit. Ha!
Good morning! I posted to several of my blogs about the opportunity for donating to your plane fare. Everyone looks forward to you coming home. http://37stories.wordpress.com.
Post a Comment