In the space of five days, I have been asked five different times: "Are you in college?/Where do you go to college?" And when I say, "Actually, I graduated in 2004" I see the other person do the mental math and then inevitably their next words are: "You look so young! Don't worry, you'll appreciate that when you're older."
Maybe I shouldn't find that a little condescending ... but I do. The problem is it's hard to get someone to take you seriously as a professional when they immediately write you off as an intern/college student (I've been asked if I'm an intern, too).
I dress well, I speak well, I write well. Sometimes I will have corresponded with someone via email before meeting them, and when they meet me they are surprised I'm "so young." I guess that's a complement - I write like a grown-up (?). But do they really need to make such a big show of "You're so young!" What's happened to having an inner monologue and being polite?
It's frustrating when I'm trying to find myself some other (at least part-time) employment, and people think I'm too young/inexperienced. I hope my resume speaks for itself, but sometimes people can't get past having a person in their Communications department whom they think looks too young. I really hate it. I promise I'm competent!
I know it's not exactly the same thing ... but I have been thinking about Jesus and how when He went back home to preach, it was hard for people to take Him seriously, because they had watched Him grow up and couldn't reconcile that image with the man He had become. It's hard to make an impact if people can't see past the superficial.
I will just keep praying about it, and hope that someone will see past my youth and that I am capable and smart and perfectly able to take what they throw my way. It just can be a little frustrating and discouraging. I know I can't be the only person with this problem.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment