Monday, March 15, 2010

Do You Sabbath?

I am very protective of my Saturdays. I consider Saturday a Sabbath day for me. Sundays are wall to wall activities and commitments, and not very restful, so I chose Saturday to be my day of rest.

I haven't always sabbathed, but more and more I am realizing what a necessity a day of rest is. And I actually have to discipline myself not to run errands, do housework or other chores on Saturday. It can be hard, but I know the Lord wants us each to take a day of rest, and in the end, I am grateful for that time of restoration.

I see people, even Christians, who are constant go-go-go people, not stopping to rest even on weekends. They can't sit still. They may be serving others, or feel their work load is so heavy it must spill into the weekends. But even Jesus took Sabbath, and required His disciples to do the same. You can't tell me your plate is more full than Jesus'.

My friend recently told me the 3 R's to Sabbath - Reflection, Restoration and Recreation. It is a day to reflect on God's work through the previous week and how He wants me to proceed next; rest and relax and let the week's stress melt away; and enjoy the day with activities that will energize me and give me a chance to let loose. I love my Saturdays, and I will continue to be fiercely protective of them. I just don't function the same without my Sabbath, and I believe that's how God has orchestrated it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a difficult time "Sabbath-ing" yet it was so important it's on God's Top Ten List. Our culture ignores it as if it's not a sin to diliberately disobey God. And then we think there are no consequences to not keeping the Sabbath. Wonder what the consequences are..... ??? I'm sure they are different for everyone ... I'm going to post your question on Facebook and see what kind of answers I get. Thanks for challenging me!

Suzanne said...

Thanks Tiffany! I'm glad you felt challenged. I know it's a little easier for me because I don't have kids or a husband, so I don't have as many obligations on the weekend I guess. But I really, really do find having a day of rest to be necessary, and I know it is possible no matter what your circumstances! I hope you find a day for restoration too. I think as long as you are doing things that allow you to reflect on God and be restored from the previous week, and ready for the next week, then you are Sabbathing. It's different for everyone, but for me, even volunteering at church is not Sabbathing for me. :) But a beautiful Saturday with friends and spending focused time with God definitely is! I spend time with God the rest of the week too, but Saturday is special. :)

Abbey Forney said...

This is a really good post. It makes the reader reflect. You should consider republishing this in your BLE newsletter. I think that audience would find it very inspiring and challenging.