I was thinking this morning about how I define the word 'good.' Usually, as I drive to work in the morning, I pray for a 'good' day, and then I try to define what would be a 'good' day. I discovered my definition of 'good' rarely includes things like 'everything go perfectly to plan, and everyone loves me and says nice things, and nothing challenging or difficult happens.'
Instead, my prayers for 'good' include things like 'I pray that I have the confidence and level-headedness to handle the challenges that come with today' and 'I pray that I can see clearly what I need to accomplish, and I am able to focus and finish.' I think there was a time where I would pray for simple, happy things as part of my 'good' day prayer, but more and more I am realizing that challenges arise, difficulties happen, and rather than praying that I never encounter those things, I pray instead that I will take the opportunity to follow as God guides me through them.
The Bible says that through trials, we are better able to discern God's Will. By being put into situations where God is the only one I can truly trust and rely on, my relationship with Him grows stronger and I am better able to hear Him in the future. I think rather than praying for simplicity in life or asking for hard times never to come my way, I am better off praying that I can follow God through the tough times so I can praise Him and rejoice and be led onto even greater mountaintops.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment