I think I've been experiencing a lot lately, and haven't sat down long enough yet to process it all. So here goes.
I've been thinking on two things a lot this week: worship, and reflection.
Monday night, my friend and I went to see Hillsong United perform downtown. They are a Christian band that I really, really like. I was super excited to go, but was not prepared for the incredible experience I had! Being in an auditorium bursting with other believers was amazing enough, but the concert experience was nothing like I've known in the secular world. It took me a few songs to loosen up enough to really feel what was happening around me and in me. People were full on, no holds barred worshiping God with everything in them. I started to think this is a glimpse of how it will be in eternity - just praising God and not caring about anything else. Joining with other believers to worship. Then they sang the song Mighty to Save, which I love, and I have to say those five minutes were the most worshipful I think I've ever been. I couldn't help but get caught up in the words and beauty of it all, and truly have a freeing experience of worshiping God. I had all these thoughts flit through my brain at that moment - thoughts of all the things I get worried about or obsess over - and I can honestly say during that height of worship, when those things came to mind I couldn't care less about them. I wish I could feel that way all the time, but I loved even having that feeling for a moment - not caring about anything except loving God and being sold out for Him. I have thought on that all week, and it's really changed my perspective on some things.
The rest of the night was incredible too. Prayers were offered, salvation invitations were made, Scripture was read, and of course, there was lots of worship music happening. The whole night was uplifting and filled me up. I loved it!!
As for reflection, it occurred to me that I have now been back in the States for a year. It's amazing how quickly it goes by. In July of 2008, I made a video newsletter about my time in Hong Kong, and posted it on youtube. I just watched it a few minutes ago for the first time since I made it, and it just brought back so many memories. I don't doubt the move back to Texas last year was right, but I think about HK every day and miss so many things about it. Maybe God has that again in my future. I hope so. There were plenty of hard times too, but I made some deep relationships that I could never have imagined, and learned so much more about God and myself than I ever knew. I sometimes think back on some of the things I had to do or figure out on my own and how I had to adapt and be outside of my comfort zone so often. I can't believe some of the experiences I had.
Since I've been back, that hasn't stopped. God has continued to do a lot of things in me. When I first came back to Texas last April, I knew it was the right move but I also had a lot of discouragement, feeling like I had gone so far and done so much and learned so many things, just to come back to the starting point. But this past year, I have been challenged in things I have never experienced. I have grown even further. I have been taught even more. Just because I came back to the same physical location as where I started, I did not come back to the same place spiritually or mentally or emotionally.
God is very, very big and offers so many challenges and blessings that I can't even begin to get my head around. I'm just glad I've stuck it out, and am continuing to hold fast, and keep learning and grow. It's not always an easy life, but it's certainly a rewarding life to live for Christ.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Have you heard about Blogger's Blog2Print service that lets you publish your blog as a book (for your personal use, of course)? I thought you might want to look into this as a way to preserve your writings about Hong Kong. http://blogspot.sharedbook.com/blog2print/googleblogger/index.html
Post a Comment