Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Friend Raising

Wow, I wish I had more to report on, but things have been pretty normal lately. I am currently setting my mind on support raising. I still need another $500 for this month. I sat with Steve – one of the guys I work with – yesterday to share ideas on some creative things I can be doing to engage potential supporters. I think the dilemma I reach is I don’t want to be super pushy and annoying. I don’t want people to see me coming and say, “Oh no, I need to hide. Suzanne’s going to ask me for money again.”

Maybe I’m being too extreme, but it’s a much different experience asking for money from friends than from, say, a company or organization. I have to walk the line between making sure my friends know their friendship is my primary focus, and also not offend them or annoy them with appeals for support. I feel like I’ve saturated most people with my need for support, and now I’m feeling like a broken record. I don’t want to strain relationships, and I guess eventually it gets to the point where I can’t say anymore, and if they still haven’t given, there’s not much else I can do about it. It’s between them and God, and if God isn’t telling them to give, then I just need to move on.

I guess where it gets tricky is most people won’t tell me, “God isn’t leading me to give.” Rather, I just get zero response from emails and phone calls, so I just infer that God isn’t leading them in that way. I guess I just want to know, so I can mark them off the list. It’s hard for me not to have firm facts, but then I can’t always have all the information either, which is where faith comes in.

I’m looking at doing some part-time work next month. I want to be doing the same type of work I’m doing now – non-profit development – but somewhere where I’d receive some income to supplement my support raising. I am trusting God to provide for my needs, and I know it will be in some way I can’t even imagine right now.

Steve and I are meeting weekly, and he is holding me accountable to meeting with people or at least coming up with new ways of raising support each week. So if you get an email from me to meet, then know that I really want to tell you about the ministry for your prayer support and friendship more than anything. And if you pray about it and feel led to give, then it would just bless me further.

Thanks for reading! I appreciate your prayers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed your post. It got me wondering why you are struggling with getting donations. Possibly, you are dressed too nice. Have you tried "sackcloth and ashes"? Maybe, carry some kind of incense thing and wave it around? For those that think i am being insensive, I believe in Suzanne's ministry and contribute regularly. So I get to joke. Keep the faith Suzanne!

Now a serious thought, if that is possible from me. Maybe you should ask your friends individually and privately why they choose to not support you? There may be an objection that can be addressed and they will feel encouraged to give. Just a thought...

Maybe the question could go something like this: Hey Goober. I believe you should not give to my missional needs unless God directs. Is that why you don't help in this ministry?

Just a thought. Have you thought about putting a donate button on your blog? It may just be an issue of convenience.

Suzanne said...

I hope my post didn't sound too negative or hopeless! It's hard to convey emotion in writing. I don't feel anxious or worried that the money will come in. I definitely know God is teaching me something through this experience, and He continually provides for me in finances as well as other ways. I think it's just all a learning process, not just for me but for those whom God is calling to give, and who are learning to act in faith themselves that when they give back to God, he blesses the gifts abundantly. Anyway, all this to say, it's coming together and I am at peace with what's happening. I still don't know what the future holds, but I am excited to see the mystery unfold!

Jacqui said...

I have never had to live on support so it's hard for me to understand all that you are going through. I appreciate your honesty in this note though, and it made me realize that I have not communicated to you why Mike and I don't support you. We are excited about BLE and the ministry that is happening and have been supporting Steve for some time. We feel that is how we are suppose to continue to support BLE. But we are praying for you for sure!

I did hear that folks that go through BLE activities are not asked if they would like to support the ministry that they benefit from. That might be something BLE considers doing?

Have you had any part time work leads?

Thinking about you!