Wednesday, July 29, 2009

I Love History

I love history, especially when it's re-enacted. I'm such a visual learner, that it helps me to actually see things played out. I also love novels that are set at major historical moments, just because it's in the background of whatever the main plot is and again, it makes it more real to me.

Recently, I was on my Netflix account, and it recommended to me this HBO miniseries done about John Adams. (side note: if you don't use Netflix, you should! It's awesome!) It starred many notable actors, like Paul Giamatti, Laura Linney, Tom Wilkinson, and others you'd recognize. It was a seven part series, beginning with the Boston Massacre and ending when Adams died at the age of 90, on the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence and also the same day his close friend Thomas Jefferson died.

I learned so much from this show, and it was so well done!! The biggest thing I came away with was John Adams doesn't get enough credit! He went through so, so much and was a very key player in us even fighting for our independence. He suggested Jefferson write the Declaration, and encouraged him when he didn't think he could do it. He also recommended Washington lead the army. He was the first vice president, and second president. He was an ambassador to England (which FYI it took 6 weeks, one way, to sail to Europe from America at the time), and while there the daily papers made so much fun of him and of the fledgling America, and he had to endure that for several years while he was there. He was also the one who, during the war, went to France and other countries to get money to help us pay for the resources we needed to start our country. He gave up so much to serve his country. It was amazing, and I never realized all the things he'd had a part in doing.

I think the part that most surprised me was he actually defended the British soldiers accused of murder in the Boston massacre. This of course was a wildly unpopular stand to take, but he did it, and what's more is he won! I had no idea.

I really liked Abigail Adams too, because she was such a strong woman and very smart, and they loved each other so much. I also learned things about Benjamin Franklin (I didn't know he invented the swivel chair!), George Washington and Thomas Jefferson that I didn't know.

Anyway, now I'm feeling all patriotic and also wondering what Adams would think of present-day America. It's a great miniseries, and I highly recommend it if you're into history.

1 comment:

Mike Sharrow said...

I listened to the "unabridged" audio book on John Adams while commuting in Chicago a couple years ago. I found it absoutely fascinating! Such a cool glimpse into the deeper texture of people, personalities and culture beyond the historical overview we are used to.