Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Turns out I am a capable adult!

As it turns out, I play a pretty convincing adult. It's funny, because I often feel like a fake - I can dress the part, and talk the part - but deep down, I still want to go home, put on my PJs and watch The Goonies or The Princess Bride at the end of the day. Is that weird?

God once again proved that it is Him working through me, and not the other way around, yesterday. I was charged with coordinating a press conference for Avenida, which was a huge task. I had to coordinate an appearance and short speech from a Congressman, several city officials, not to mention preparing all the media materials and distributing, setting up and decorating the venue, and generally making sure everything went to plan. I was so nervous no one would show up, or something on stage would fall apart in front of everyone.

But everything went so smoothly and so perfectly to plan, I couldn't believe it! Not one hitch! We had over 60 people attend, I met some new media people, and we even had a short slot on the news last night. I prayed so much for the ability to pull this off, and for it to be a success, that all I can do now is tell you about it so you can share with me in glorifying God. He's awesome!!!

Not only am I happy the event was a success, but it also was the first major project I've been given sole control over. It was my event to make into what I envisioned, and people followed my lead. Now that it was a success, I feel like I've finally crossed a line with my co-workers (in a good way) and have proven myself valuable. (They never made me feel un-valuable, but now I have a tangible example of what I am capable of.) So this event's success had many effects, and I am so grateful. It was a great confidence booster for me, great PR for our organization, and I got to see, once again, how God honors His commitment to us, and carries me through.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Suzanne, I feel like that all the time...like I'm a child trapped in a grown-ups life. I don't think I'll ever feel "old" or like i'm a "capable adult"!

Congrats on your press conference. Working with that genre can be so intimidating and crazy stressful. I'm sure God's favor fell upon you with everyone you met!!

Suzanne said...

Thanks, Tiffany! It was awesome, and reminded me a lot of how God works things to good. It was a lot of work, but an excellent opportunity to show that I am capable, and I think that was the bigger blessing.

P.S. - I didn't know you still read my blog! :) Thanks!

Sara said...

Wow, Suzanne. I feel like that SO often, too, like when did I get to be a grown up..how did that happen? I don't feel old, and I don't feel like I am a real "adult" per se. Pjs and televison sound good to me, always. As if I can just stay home and avoid the world.

Sometimes, as they say in recovery, you just have to fake it till you make it. Meaning, you don't feel it, but act like it and you will grow into feeling it.

So, with that in mind, maybe by the time I am a Senior citizen I will feel grown up and responsible.

You are in good company here. ;)

P.S. I have never doubted you were VERY capable at what you do, in fact, when I first met you and we talked about your job at GP, I was intimidated.

Love ya,
Sara
call me sometime so we can go share a meal together and catch up.