I had only set one goal for 2010, and that was to run five miles. And I did it this morning!! Yesss!! My body now feels like it's ready to sleep for quite a while, and I was so hungry today from all the calories burned (I walked a bit in addition to the five mile run).
It feels so good to accomplish goals. I look back at a year ago today, and I couldn't even run a mile, and today I ran five. I've learned so much about perseverance, and self-discipline, but mostly about relying on God. As Kerrie has told me for years, I can view this as a metaphor to walking with God (or maybe running with God?). I sometimes forget to pray about a run if it's going well, but when I'm hurting, all I can do is ask God to pull me through. Just like in other areas of my life. But in reality, He is behind everything that happens, whether I acknowledge Him or not. But it's a better relationship when I remember that and include Him in it at all times.
So early this morning, I headed over to my new favorite running spot - the Leon Creek Greenway through O.P. Shnabel Park. If you haven't been over to the new and improved paved pathway they just developed this year, then you need to check it out. I started on Babcock and ended up by Bandera and Mainland, and then doubled back. The last half mile was the hardest, but by that point, I wasn't going to give up. I finished strong, and still had to walk almost two miles back to my car (which was a pain because I was so thirsty!).
Since I went early, and it's New Year's Day, I didn't even see a single soul until near the end of my run, and even then I only saw a few people walking their dogs. It was awesome. Just me, God, and the wilderness. I loved it.
I guess the other 2010 goal I have, in addition to my running goals I have set out in my calendar for this year, is to start graduate school. I plan to do that in the fall. I completed my application just before Christmas, and I feel pretty confident I will be accepted. Then I just need to determine a way to pay for it without loans.
So here's to accomplishing more goals in 2010! I hope and pray it is as productive a year as 2009. Looking forward to it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment