Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Panera Nuns!

Five nuns walk into a Panera.

It's not the beginning of a joke. It's what happened tonight. But that's not even the story.

My friend K (don't want to use her name), whom I do regular Bible Study with, and I were at Panera to talk and study Acts. We got about halfway through the first chapter, and the nuns, while selecting some bagels, started being harassed by some guy. He told them, "Mary was a sinner" over and over again. I'm not sure why. Then he left before the nuns could do anything, and they just kind of shrugged it off.

I had the honor of sitting by the window, and I could see the angry guy now outside, staring in the window at the nuns. He started pacing, then staring some more. It was intense. I just knew he would come back inside and start trouble with the nuns. And sure enough, he did.

He came back in, and started in on the Catholic church. He had a whole lot of issues with things like sacrament, and then at one point started to challenge the ladies on baptism, refuting the need for baptism by water. He obviously knew Scripture and was throwing it at them, and when he spoke of baptism he referenced John. I loved it, because the nun looked at him incredulously and said, "Have you even read John?" because John (and others) specifically state the need for a water baptism.

K and I sat there, angry and frustrated. I could feel my heart racing, but I wasn't sure I needed to go over there and say something or not. The nuns were handling themselves just fine, so instead K and I prayed fervently for them, and the angry guy, at our table. When we finished, the guy was gone and the nuns were back to buying bagels. I got up from the table and went up to them to let them know how awesome I thought they were for responding to him in love and kindness, and for not entering into a debate but just speaking Truth to him and remaining calm and confident in their faith. I let them know K and I had been praying for them, and what we had prayed for specifically. They were so grateful and appreciative, and told me they could feel the prayers. They were so incredibly kind. We talked a bit more about Jesus, and they let me know they are new here, from Alabama. They felt God call them here to a particular ministry, and asked that I continue to pray for them. One nun took my and K's names to pray for us too, and we all wished each other a Merry Christmas. It was so cool. I love how God takes a seemingly negative situation and turns it around to glorify Him.

Then the manager of Panera, who is Catholic and had been defending the ladies, came over to me and K to be sure we weren't too offended by the guy or anything, and assured us that the guy had been told not to return to Panera (his loss). We entered into conversation with him as well about religion, as K and I were sitting there with open Bibles.

It's amazing what God does. K and I could literally feel the evil radiating off that angry guy. Obviously he's been hurt and is channeling his rage at the church, and picking on nuns at Panera (not cool). God allows that to happen, but He also lets us experience the crazy coolness of seeing Him bring that situation back to good and glory. Love it.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Wow, I got chills reading that. Rock on, Panera Nuns.

What a great testimony of the love of Jesus, "it is written, baptism by water.."

Sara

p.s. I secretly LOVE the Panera. My absolute fav place to go. I may need intervention in the near future.