I just had the funniest conversation with my co-worker. She is 39, single and Christian. She's never been married and has no children. Our discussion was about being single in the church. Her perspective was a little different, since most single people she knows in church that are her age are divorced or widowed, and at least at my grand age of 27, I still know single people who have never been married. But the heart of what we were talking about was what it's like not to have many single people our age that we can share life with.
I love, love, love my married friends. And I also love and enjoy my singlehood, so this is in no way a slight to married's or a sadfest for singledom. But I do sometimes wish I had more single friends that just understand what it's like to be on your own and in a career. Seems most of the singles are college kids or much older and divorced with kids. I don't want to hang out with 19-year-olds who have never had a real job, and I've never been married, divorced or a parent. It can also be difficult when so many church activities are oriented toward children, and again, I don't have kids.
My co-worker and I had a great time laughing over times we've been thrown the "Paul was single" card, been told, "You're single, so you have so much free time and can volunteer for X project!", couples think you're bitter on Valentine's Day, or being told when a lesson on marriage is discussed that "you'll appreciate this advice some day." Ah, we had a good laugh and a fun, but honest, discussion. I really love my life, I really do.
For a super funny whimsical look at Christian singlehood, you should check out the scorecard on the Stuff Christians Like blog. It makes me laugh!! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Suzanne, Wow, girl, you are singing my song. I have struggled the past few years because I don't have many SINGLE friends that are my age and don't have kids and never been married.
I keep trying to find a place to fit in, where are the professional 30+ singles? I have found that most of them hook up with one another and go on to marry and become married people.
Ministering to the SINGLE is so much different than ministering to the MARRIED. Mainly, single people are one income households and trying to make it alone.
If you find any of these special people, do let me know. I would love to have friends who really understand the heart of singledom.
Love,
Sara
Yes, I understand! I guess I will just have to keep praying for something to change. I love my group, but I wouldn't mind knowing a few more singles. :)
Post a Comment