Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Leadership Challenge

I recently took on the role of Life Group Leader for my Life Group, and it's been a bit more of an undertaking than I thought it would be. I feel much more accountable to showing up completely surrendered, and being much more thoughtful in my responses. Even during the week, I will get emails periodically from a group member asking for prayer or wanting to make suggestions or bring up concerns, and I realize how important it is to be very deliberate and prayerful about each decision.

I think leading, in anything, can be an overwhelming task when you really think about how your actions will affect those you lead. You are more accountable to setting an example, showing up prepared and ready to engage, making time for activities you otherwise may have begged off of, or just really listening to someone and determining whether their suggestions are what is best for the group. I think sometimes we see leading as just keeping things going - keeping all the balls in the air and not letting something drop. But in reality, it's not just maintaining what is already there but moving those you lead into a new challenge, aiding in spiritual growth, and making sure that growth is happening. That can be a big responsibility, but definitely one that teaches you to be more transparent and definitely accountable in your own spiritual growth. How can you lead others somewhere that you are not going? I think this is going to really challenge me, in a good way, to seek God's will first and put myself second.

4 comments:

Sara said...

Wow, Suzanne! That is awesome. My only piece of advice for you is this...live what you talk. You are now role model material. Congratulations! ;)

Suzanne said...

Thanks Sara. I am trying my best to live what I talk. It can be tough sometimes, but the accountability is helping and I'm excited about what God is doing! :)

kerrie said...

AaawwwW! Suzanne, I am so proud of you (tear, sniffle).

Abbey said...

Thanks for stepping up to lead our group. Your doing a good job and I appreciate you.