I have been living in Hong Kong now for 8 months. How did it go so quickly??
I was threading my way through droves of people in the city today, and writing a message the whole time on my phone, never looking up but just knowing where to go and how to get through the people (people often walk around glued to their phones here, so its a very "Hong Konger" thing to do). I walked through side streets and cut across other bridges and w
alkways to get where I was going, all without really paying attention. I settled onto my bus and pulled out my ipod to settle in for the 40 minute journey home. All these things without really thinking about what I was doing. I glanced out at the beautiful view of the sun shining on the harbor, and thought to myself how comfortable I have gotten, knowing my way around and how to communicate.
The other day I had to take a taxi to run an errand to a more Chinese area of the city, ie not much chance of finding an English speaker. Without a thought about it, I hailed the cab, simultaneously dialing a Chinese-speaking friend, and when I jumped in the taxi I just handed the phone to the cab driver so my friend could tell him in Chinese where to take me. Later that day I went to a wedding, and afterward wound my way to the library. It was around 8 pm, and I walked through Victoria Park where people were playing socce
r, running, or sitting on benches people-watching, and I thought of how unique and beautiful the atmosphere was.
I guess this all sounds a bit rambly, but my point is I remember being so timid about commiting to indefinate time here, not knowing how it would all work out, if I would have friends, if I would ever get used to this city. And I realize that I have. I definitely have many moments when I so badly want to be back home, but I really love living in Hong Kong. If you had asked me five years ago where I saw myself in 2008, it certainly would not have involved this.
Now I have made some incredible friends (I know Maz is reading this! and you're the best!!), learned so many things about working in Communications, learned a lot about the poverty and other challenges faced by billions, and found myself making my way around a major Asian destination.
I have also learned a lot about myself. So much of what I do, I do alone. So when I get lost in the city, or have to jump into cabs for errands, or make phone calls to Chinese businesses for products or answers ... I go solo. I very often think how much easier it would all be just once in a while to have someone lead me, rather than having to figure it out on my own, and make mistakes and get lost all by myself. But at the same time, I'm so much more confident and don't get freaked by challenges. I know I can do things, and I know that if I mess up or get lost, it's not the end of the world. I'm glad to have grown in independence and self-reliance.
So when you all come to visit me (hint hint!), rest assured I can lead you around with confidence. He has given me that spirit and taught me not to rely on others but on Him alone.
I was threading my way through droves of people in the city today, and writing a message the whole time on my phone, never looking up but just knowing where to go and how to get through the people (people often walk around glued to their phones here, so its a very "Hong Konger" thing to do). I walked through side streets and cut across other bridges and w
alkways to get where I was going, all without really paying attention. I settled onto my bus and pulled out my ipod to settle in for the 40 minute journey home. All these things without really thinking about what I was doing. I glanced out at the beautiful view of the sun shining on the harbor, and thought to myself how comfortable I have gotten, knowing my way around and how to communicate.The other day I had to take a taxi to run an errand to a more Chinese area of the city, ie not much chance of finding an English speaker. Without a thought about it, I hailed the cab, simultaneously dialing a Chinese-speaking friend, and when I jumped in the taxi I just handed the phone to the cab driver so my friend could tell him in Chinese where to take me. Later that day I went to a wedding, and afterward wound my way to the library. It was around 8 pm, and I walked through Victoria Park where people were playing socce
r, running, or sitting on benches people-watching, and I thought of how unique and beautiful the atmosphere was.I guess this all sounds a bit rambly, but my point is I remember being so timid about commiting to indefinate time here, not knowing how it would all work out, if I would have friends, if I would ever get used to this city. And I realize that I have. I definitely have many moments when I so badly want to be back home, but I really love living in Hong Kong. If you had asked me five years ago where I saw myself in 2008, it certainly would not have involved this.
Now I have made some incredible friends (I know Maz is reading this! and you're the best!!), learned so many things about working in Communications, learned a lot about the poverty and other challenges faced by billions, and found myself making my way around a major Asian destination.
I have also learned a lot about myself. So much of what I do, I do alone. So when I get lost in the city, or have to jump into cabs for errands, or make phone calls to Chinese businesses for products or answers ... I go solo. I very often think how much easier it would all be just once in a while to have someone lead me, rather than having to figure it out on my own, and make mistakes and get lost all by myself. But at the same time, I'm so much more confident and don't get freaked by challenges. I know I can do things, and I know that if I mess up or get lost, it's not the end of the world. I'm glad to have grown in independence and self-reliance.
So when you all come to visit me (hint hint!), rest assured I can lead you around with confidence. He has given me that spirit and taught me not to rely on others but on Him alone.

1 comment:
It is pretty incredible how comfortable you can become in a foreign environment given a little time. I remember in the Philippines, by the end I could walk down the street and catch a trike to the mall, or to the trip director's house. Of course, we weren't encourage to do these things alone, but it felt great knowing I could.
Post a Comment