Friday, November 14, 2008

Coming Full Circle

I have been refelcting these past few days on how different life is being an adult from being a kid. I think this contemplation has come on as I've continued working with the kids and hanging out with them here. I see them do things I had to do as a child to an adult: ask permission to use the bathroom, ask permission to climb something, hold my hand to cross the street, and many other things. And now I am the one giving permission and holding hands.

Sometimes one of the older girls here will come by during lunch to ask me something. If my explanation or help takes too long, even if it's not school or work related, I tell them just to be late and tell the teacher I kept her. It's weird to be able to have that power after all these years (it also helps that her teacher is my roommate).

I also find myself employing techniques used by teachers throughout the years. Yesterday, for example, when I was talking, two of the boys were talking to each other. I got quiet until they noticed, asked if they were done, and then continued what I was saying. I remember teachers doing that. Also, I tell them "we'll just wait until you're done. And if that means we finish late (which of course means less play time for them) then that's what will happen" even though I really don't want to finish late either. And I think to myself, "I sound like my third grade teacher."

It's just bizarre to be in the role of adult now: permission-granter, hand-holder, giving excuses for tardies, and other things I find myself doing. I can't imagine how it's going to feel when I some day become a parent.

2 comments:

mazewu said...

Oi! Stop making my kids late to class! :P

Anonymous said...

Great thoughts. Loved Mazewu response. Cora and I were invited by my high school science teacher to attend the dedication of an elementary school after her name.

She once was a teacher mentor 40 years, ago. Now has become a friend. Life is fascinating.