Sunday, November 23, 2008

The Times They Are A-Changin'

It's the end of another week, and as I think about this next upcoming week, I'm trying to get my head around what it will be like living here Maz-less. Maz heads back to Sydney on Friday. So I will eventually be given a new roommate, but I guess it's hard not knowing who that will be, and if it will be someone I will get along with as well. And of course, I'll miss having Maz here to talk to. It really has been a blessing that we've become such good friends. I remember coming here, and having no idea who she was or anything about her, and was just so relieved that we hit it off immediately. I just hope the same happens again. The next several months I am here will certainly be different, but also very full, as always.

I also find that as my time of homecoming draws closer, I can hardly wait! I realize just how much I've missed close friends. While I get on with most people here, it's not the same as having friends who have known me for years, who I can just sit with without talking, or say things and they already know what I mean. Having so many cultures together here is certainly interesting, and fun, but also you don't realize just how much you rely on unspoken norms and cultural leanings and understandings when communicating, until you don't have them anymore. So I am looking forward to just being, and not having to think about how to word things or the right tone to use.... just being able to speak and not worry if they get what I'm saying will be a welcome change.

So, all this to say, I will greatly miss Maz, and I am also very eager to be home for a bit. See you all very soon!

No comments: