Friday, November 28, 2008

Giving Thanks

I was really bummed about missing Thanksgiving yesterday. I remembered halfway through the day it was Thanksgiving, and wished a Happy Turkey Day to the other one American I work with (also a Texan, yay!). I was thinking on how if I was at home, I'd be waking up to the smell of my dad roasting turkey, my mom making her amazing stuffing, yams, and potatoes, and most of all, delicious, buttery biscuits with gravy. I'd be watching football with my dad while eating pumpkin pie with cool whip for dessert. I'd be watching the commercials teeming with ads for after-Thanksgiving sales. And then I'd be eating Thanksgiving leftovers later. Mmmm.... how I love Thanksgiving.

But in the spirit of the day (since that's all I have here), I was thinking of what I am thankful for this year.

I am thankful for the financial support that has kept me going in Hong Kong, thanks to faithful and cheerful givers who believe in His higher purpose and my call to it.

I am thankful for the special individuals who know me in and out, know exactly what to say and when to say it, and also when to leave me be; the people who let me be myself without judgment; the people who love me, teach me through their example of friendship, and allow me to grow in a safe space.

I am thankful for what the Father is doing in my family, how I know He is reaching out to them and using my testimony to plant seeds in their hearts.

I am thankful for the chance to do work here that I am skilled at, that I enjoy, that challenges me and teaches me, that makes a difference to others.

I am thankful for the believers back home who still think of me, and remember me often, who want to hear about my life here, want to listen to my stories no matter how unusual or uninteresting they may be, but will listen because they know it is important to me; for the people who tend to my bouts of loneliness by sending me random e-mails or postcards or letters or packages, just to let me know they care.

I am thankful for perfect timing, for evidence of His hand at work in my life, evidence that He knows me personally, hears my cries, knows my burdens, and lifts my load onto Himelf while asking nothing from me but to take a walk by His side.

All of these things, and so much more, I am truly grateful for this season.

I can't wait to see many of you soon, and to share more fully what He has done in me, and through this work, in HK this year. Thank you to all who love and support me... you make me very happy!

1 comment:

Kyle Burkholder said...

i wouldn't be surprised if you used up a few tears writing this. simple appreciation is a great thing. and your incredible (and completely unique) perspective is priceless. i am thankful for that for you. :)

we remember you.