Monday, December 1, 2008

Thinking Back

Sometimes I get so homesick I can hardly stand it. I'll watch a movie, or hear a song, or talk online with a friend from Texas, and an intense desire to walk out my door and into something familiar comes over me, to the point sometimes where I resent being here. Most of the time, this isn't the case, fortunately, and I am constantly re-affirmed that I should be here right now, but that doesn't make it any easier when all I want are comfortable, familiar friends, my mom's meatloaf, and a good, overdue cuddle with my dog.

Today, I was listening to Christmas music (yay December!) and writing out my Christmas cards. Some songs bring such strong memories, and Christmastime is already such a favorite time of year for me. It was hard to look out the window, and not be met by views of home, but it also allowed me some time to think about one of the songs I was listening to.

Have you ever heard the Relient K song, "I Celebrate the Day"? Well, it talks about celebrating the day JC was born to die so we could one day ask Him to save us. It asks if He realized the first time He opened His eyes He would be my savior, and that His first breath would change this world forever. It goes on to say how incredible it is to look back and think this baby would one day save me, that He was born so I might live. I've heard the song a million times, but somehow it hit me new today. I admit I'm not as good as I could be at spending significant time with Him daily. Thinking about the words in the song, and the awesome gift that baby is, really made me stop and consider how much He loves me, I love Him, and how desperately I need to renew our friendship. So if you are given to 'thinking' of me, that's something you can certainly lift up.

Homesickness is hard, but a good friend makes it easier, and I am becoming more aware of my need to make that Good Friend a bigger part of my day, and let Him help me and comfort me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for you to come home!!! We are going to have so much fun!!!! 17 days left. We are going to do regular American things. I just thought right now...when you get back here you are probably going to be homesick for HK. What a Dichotomy.

Suzanne said...

That sounds GREAT!!! I can't wait to hang out. :) I will see you very sooooooon and we will head to the Crack B. haha! :)