As I finished my packing tonight, and said good-bye to everyone, I was thinking back on these nine months and how quickly it has gone. I can't really believe it's already here. And ... I have been almost feeling sad to leave, even though I'll be back in a few weeks. I am of course THRILLED to be seeing friends, being in America again, spending time with my family, and just generally being 'normal' again, doing familiar things. But at the same time, it's bringing more urgency to my need to really consider His will for me, whether that be staying on past April or not (my visa expires in April). Part of me so wants to go back to the familiarity of home, but the other part of me really loves Hong Kong. There's many difficulties and challenges, but then something little will happen that will remind me how much I like it here. So who knows ... I suppose being home for these next few weeks will be very telling, ie I'll see just how much I miss Hong Kong, and the people here.
I've learned to live in a different way, adapted to such a different culture, and just had so many new experiences and met such an array of people from all over the world. On Friday, the kids were hugging me and a few even looked at me with their big eyes, saying, "You are coming back, right??" Soooo sweet. One of the kids, if I can call a 16-year-old a kid, is even coming along with me to the airport tomorrow to see me off, which I'm happy about. She even sought me out to have dinner tonight, and is holding me to a promise to get together to watch a DVD when I'm back. I love being loved by people (an obvious statement, but still worth saying). And I have to say, I have felt very loved lately, which has been encouraging and confirming my call to this place.
It's hard to describe the overwhelming confirmation that you are where you are meant to be. Every time I speak Chinglish at the grocery store, smush into a full double decker bus, or walk along busy streets weaving through throngs of people, I am full of the sense that these are the people among whom I have been called to live. What a feeling.
So, I can't wait to see many of you in a day or two, but I think it's also a blessing that I have grow so accustomed to this place that I will miss it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
never lose that need to feel truly "alive". some will refer to it as a "calling". you will know it as simply an abundance. life, full and overflowing.
we love what we hear in this post. sounds determined. sounds like someone who is living not for today but for those eventual words..."well done good and faithful servant."
we remember you. hope to see you while you're here.
I knew this would happen...you are going to stay longer, I knew it the whole time even when you told me you would probably be there no more than a year. Selfishly, I want you to come home and stay...but the Lord says, your His. Love You.
Post a Comment