Sunday, December 7, 2008

Hong Kong Road Trip


On Saturday, I had the unique privilege of going to a crafts fair to which Crossroads had been invited to sell our fair trade items as part of a fundraiser. The fair was in a place called Stanley, which is at the bottom of Hong Kong Island, and quite a ways from my home in the New Territories. Josh, who grew up here and knows his way around, gave me driving directions and early Saturday Sally, who usually handles the crafts, and I loaded the van and set off.

I have only ever driven to the airport and around Tuen Mun (and bear in mind I'm on the left side of the road, sitting on the right side of the car, which is WEIRD), which is small enough, and both are pretty straightforward routes. Driving to Stanley was a new experience for me, since it required driving through Kowloon, then through Central and Wan Chai, Repulse Bay, and finally to Stanley. I stayed on the highway for the most part, and fortunately the bus I take to the city follows mostly the same route so I knew how to get to Central (though it's different to drive it than just to be a passenger). Once in Central, I kept on the highway and successfully maneuvered between all the people crossing the many lanes of traffic each way as they all shooted off to various tunnels and exits. We made our way through the Aberdeen Tunnel and along about 20 minutes of very winding, two lane roads (ie one way each way). I could never see around the hairpin turns, but double decker buses, mini buses, and many cars kept barrelling around them at me, giving me about three heart attacks on the way.

We finally made it into Stanley, and I had to make a blind right turn, nearly getting smushed by a big bus. I made it to the school field we were to set up in, got unloaded, and set off to find parking. I got lost, at one point having to make a scary u-turn (it was a tightly curving road, so I just had to pray no one came around the corner as I made my u-turn, and also that I would make it and not have to go into reverse, because again if someone came shooting around the corner, I'd be smashed). Fortunately I made the turn, and got back to the school where I found a parking place.

Back at the fair, finally, I settled into our stall, and watched Santa appear in a big, shiny helicopter (which kicked up a lot of dust). Children ran to him and trailed him as he climbed into a black convertible and did a lap around the grounds 9as you do). However, this paled in comparison to later, when Santa joined the Scottish dance troupe for traditional highland dancing, in full-on Santa gear (I hope you are getting a mental image of this - it was priceless). We also had a magic show, a demonstration by the Hong Kong police dogs, and Chinese acrobats. My favorite part was when a group performed the Lion Dance, which is really interesting to watch because they just have to be so coordinated not to fall. (The Lion Dance is popular during Chinese New Year ... two people with a lion costume and they jump around on stilts ... much more impressive than my explanation, I promise!)

By the end of the day, exhausted, we loaded up again and headed back. I of course got lost, but eventually we worked our way back the right way, though I ended up off the highway and had to drive through Wan Chai and Central in rush hour. This time I had about two heart attacks, but as I threw caution to the wind, and became like other HK drivers (ie no blinker, no checking blind spots, just going where I please and assuming no one will hit me and they will be watching and letting me through) we made it out the tunnel, and back on the highway home.

All in all, it was a great day. And now I feel even more comfortable driving here, negotiating the roads and traffic and trusting the buses won't run me over.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loved it! Life is like that. Sometimes you just have to trust. Close your eyes and keep going! Even when you are on the wrong side of street going the wrong way. Ha!