For those of you still out there listening, I’m back online and have some post-HK thoughts to stream onto the blog.
I think the thing I’ve noticed the most since coming back is there is just so much. There are so many brands of foods and other items to choose from at the store. There are so many TV channels to distract you. There are so many movies and theatres to keep you busy.
I’ve also been more annoyed than usual with reality TV. I flipped through E! the other day (I know, I know) and it was these fake blond girls talking about diamond rings they thought they should get, that cost something like $350,000. They sound so bored talking about their huge bank accounts and what islands they think they’ll go to for the weekend. They were just the kind of people who live in their own universe where an expense like diamonds is ‘necessary’ and they ‘deserve’ it. I also was listening to the radio and the celebrity gossip came on. Again, I was so irritated because it was all made out to be sooooo important, when in reality it’s not. Who cares who is dating who and who cheated on who and how many houses someone has and which celebrity was forced to slum it and wait in line at a restaurant … it drives me crazy anyway, but even more so now.
I’m not saying I don’t get caught up in any of these things, or make my own bad purchases and waste money on material things. I’m not even saying I don’t enjoy watching HD satellite TV at my parents’ house.
What I’m saying is, we are just sooooo caught up in things that just don’t matter. What happens in Hollywood only matters to the people involved. Movie stars breaking up means nothing to AIDS victims in Uganda or persecuted believers in Asia. It just makes me crazy.

3 comments:
Welcome home! Looking forward to following your adventure on your blog!
Basically the Kardashians make me hate humanity...why are they famous???
Welcome home, my friend! Am living vicariously through your eyes..or your words. Interested to read about your thoughts on the USA mission field. :)
-_Sara
Post a Comment