Monday, August 17, 2009

Weekend God Spot!

I had an unexpected "God Spot" as Archie calls it this weekend. Lemme 'splain.

I headed down to Port Aransas on Saturday with some friends for a fun day of beaching. We traveled the three hours with minimal sights to see (many of you understand the boring drive down 281 to Corpus from SA), and arrived to a fully packed beach. It was Saturday, after all. But we found a good spot, pitched our shade-providing beach tent, and headed to open water. It was a hot day, and the water was warm. Fish were jumping all over the place, and I got hit in the face by many a wave, the taste of murky salt-water lingering on my palate.

At the end, we were all exhausted so we packed up and headed to Jason's Deli before hitting the road back to SA. After filling our tummies, we got back on the road and made the three hour trek back home.

As we headed into downtown San Antonio to catch I-10 back to the north side, the conversation turned to faith and trust in God. One of the girls in the car struggles with knowing and believing in God's Hand at work, so the other three of us were able to share our own stories with her. She comes from a more formal church background where she doesn't say things like "talking to God" and some of the other things we say so casually. Anyway, it was a cool experience to me at least, getting to share a little about how God works in my life and some Scripture about how He has done miracles for others, and also that God isn't a high-above entity but rather a friend to keep close and chat with like any other friend.

She particularly struggles with the age-old question, "Why do bad things happen to good people?" I think we've all asked that. We told her there's no way to understand God's decisions and thought-process, but you have to trust He is doing what's right. Also, it's ok to tell God you're mad! In fact, it will make you feel better to get it off your chest, and once you do it often can clear your head a little to see better what He is doing and why.

I love having these totally unsolicited "God Spots." God shows up when I'm exhausted and sunburned, and gives me the excitement to still share about Him even though I'm aching for a shower and bed. He is awesome, and I will keep praying for my friend.

No comments: