I was also able to spend Saturday evening with another girl here who married another team member last year. They have such a beautiful, MD-filled love story, and I was able to listen to her describe the wedding (I had really wanted to come, but it just wasn't feasible). There are just some people that are so grounded, so close to the MD, and so caught up in their love of Him that you just want to sit and let it rub off on you. She and her husband are those kinds of people. I was so blessed to hear their story, and spend some quality time with her.
I spent the weekend painting my room, and unfortunately I'm still not quite done. But it already looks so much better! I also spent a large chunk of time cleaning. There is just so much dirt in the air here, and I always felt dirty, so I swept and mopped every surface I could find, and I feel so much better now. I was especially glad I'd done this because I ended up shortly babysitting a 6 month old baby girl on Monday, and if she'd come over two days before, I wouldn't have felt comfortable having her crawl on the floor. But when she came yesterday, it was fine. I have a cute photo of her, but haven't uploaded it yet. She's a sweetie, though, and she and her mom and dad live below me.
I also had the experience of eating hand-made noodles on Sunday, which are so much better than processed noodles! And I also went to this place called Sam Tseng yesterday (pronounced Sam Ching - the "ts" is a "ch" sound). The problem is there are two very different places - one is Sam Shing and one is Sam Tseng. They sound so similar, I was afraid I'd end up at the wrong one. But luckily I got it right, and when I exited the bus I immediately was lost. I had gone there to go to this plant store to get something for another team member's birthday. In some places in HK, there is a good enough mix of Westerners that I don't stand out too bad. The New Territories is not that place, and that's where I live and where Sam Tseng is. So I was wandering, lost, hot, and dirty (because there's dirt everywhere!) and couldn't even ask anyone for help because no one spoke English. And of course there's the people looking at me, wondering what I'm doing in their town. But no worries - I can handle it, and I eventually found what I was looking for, and so now I know should I need to go back.
Also on Sunday, I made a feast of spaghetti and bread for some of the kids who wanted to come over. I love that they feel so comfortable with me, and I really enjoy spending time with them. We had a great time, and ate lots of pasta. This is a photo of Hilary, 15, and Georgie, 14.So those have been my adventures thus far. Each day is a new challenge, but I'm really loving it. I remember the day before I left to come here, wondering what on earth I was doing. I couldn't picture life in HK being better than life at home. But the MD is always faithful on His promises, and I am so happy here despite the periodic difficulties. I still love and miss home, but I am absolutely confident this is where He wants me, and He continues to bless me and the work being done here. I'm getting to see lives changed first-hand, and that's a very precious thing.

1 comment:
Love to read your adventures! Thanks for the extra effort to keep us involved in your life. I know your Director will continue to allow you growth in your employment.
Post a Comment