Sunday, April 20, 2008

"Women are precious."

Maz and I were finishing up the painting of our apartment yesterday, and our friend Api came by to help some more. Maz was talking to him about his family back in Fiji, and he started explaining some of the social norms he was brought up with. In his description, Maz noticed that the men did a lot more of the work and had more responsibility than the women. We just thought it was some cultural thing where women are thought of as less and made to stay home. That sort of thing. Api isn't like that, so Maz asked him why women didn't do all the work that the men do. He looked at her like she was nuts and said, "Because women are precious."

I'm sorry. Can you please repeat that?

"Women are precious." Maz and I shared a mental note at that point to be sure we stay friends with Api. It explains a lot. He's been so good at helping us out with all the painting, and other things. And there's another guy here who is from Samoa, who is similar in his respect for women. So Maz and I have decided that is must be an islander thing. Regardless, I like the thought.

"Women are precious." Spread the word.

1 comment:

Kyle Burkholder said...

interesting.

on a side note, we like your picture on the blog. it looks like someone just told you a mediocre joke and you are weighing whether it was actually funny enough to laugh.

its a good look. mysterious.