Monday, August 4, 2008

A Horse, Of Course!

The Olympic Games start in just a few days, and things are getting closer to fever pitch every day. The people are fiercely proud and very excited about the upcoming events. The games are being held primarily in Beijing, but are also holding some events in other Chinese cities such as Shanghai, Tianjin, and others. Hong Kong will host the equestrian games.

So this morning, I was driving someone to the airport, and as we were getting on to the bridge to Lantau Island, we were stopped by a very elaborate motorcade. We watched as vehicles and motorcycles bearing flashing lights drove past, and we sat and wondered aloud at what dignitaries this must be for.

And then, masses of horse trailers went by. The motorcade was for the Olympic horses.

So we waited and waited, and eventually it was done, and so we were allowed onto the bridge but had to slowly follow the motorcade toward the airport.

Seeing as how I can’t afford Olympics tickets, and have never been terribly keen on horse events anyway, this was my brush with Olympic fever and Olympic preparations. I can say, as a complete non-expert, that the horses looked good! I look forward to seeing them compete on TV with the rest of the world.


You can also see the mascots for the Olympic Games at several spots around Hong Kong. They are very popular! I already have my keychain with the blue one on it.

No comments: