Thursday, August 21, 2008

What I've learned about typhoons


Typhoon Nuri is currently bearing down on us today, and it’s caused me to reflect on my time spent in typhoon season this year.

So what’s it like being hit with typhoons so frequently? Very high winds, heavy rainfall, landslips, upturned trees, and things flying are just the highlights.

The weather service hoists different signals – T1, T3, T8, or T10. We often find ourselves at T3 or T8. One guy on team has lived here for 25 years and has never experienced a T10, so that’s something to be thankful for.

We are warned to shut all windows and doors and to secure anything loosely hanging outside during any of the T signals. With the T8, public transportation shuts down, and warnings go into effect to not go outdoors unless necessary. Winds make it difficult to shut doors (it makes me feel like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz, when she is struggling to shut her door and things are banging around her … unfortunately I have never made the magical trip to Oz).

Often whole tree branches will lie in the roads or on sidewalks, and more than once we have had one of the surrounding trees break windows in the apartments as they crashed in. The supermarkets put big taped X’s on their windows in case they blow in or something breaks them, to contain the damage. All in all, it’s a bit exciting and we just continue to do our work.

I’ve certainly learned a lot from living under typhoon weather for so many months (since about May I think, but maybe April). The dark, menacing skies. The trees being violently tossed around. Rivers of water on the streets and sidewalks, and if I’m really unlucky, in my apartment.

It’s incredible to see such unpredictable, intense forces of nature. Wow, how He amazes me.

No comments: