Each Wednesday night, our team gathers for a meal and then an extended time of singing, chatting, and learning the Word together. I have to admit, coming fast on the heels of a full work day, I sometimes find it hard to have the energy to sit for another several hours for these times Wednesday night. Often I am warmed by the things I learn and the fellowship I take part in, but it nevertheless can be an exhausting day and I must admit I sometimes am reticent to give up my personal time for these meetings.
Last night, however, blew me away. The Father showed up in a big way.
Our team will go through what we call “seasons,” ie different themes or patterns to our times of learning together. For example, we may spend several weeks learning about the Fruit of His Spirit, or dig deep into the many names He has, or even go through a more structured Study. The season we began last night is about living in His Presence, and how differently that can be found and what it can look like for each of us.
We had what was termed a Presence Buffet. In the room we meet in, which is a long, rectangular room, there was a table runner running the length of the floor with various place settings, pots, serving platters, and baskets placed about, as well as many small candles lit. On some of the dishes and in baskets were pieces of bread, but most did not hold food but instead held verses, devotional excerpts, paper, pens, and even play do for those who find His Presence through artistic expression.
We were given the opportunity to approach the “buffet” and seek His Presence in our own way. This could be through writing, drawing, composing, devotionals, verses, or even just finding a quiet spot to be still and listen to Him.
I am one who most easily enters His Presence through being quiet and still, so I did just that. I found myself a spot on the floor, and in the quiet let Him come over me. I was praising Him a full thirty minutes before our leader asked us to come back together as a whole to chat together. During my time with Him, thanking Him, I was overcome with gratitude for so many things. Big gestures, small details … just everything. I could feel the tears streaming down my face, and I didn’t care. I was just so peaceful, so happy.
These past few weeks for me have been some of the most challenging, in just about every aspect, but they have also been the most meaningful in that this is the closest I have been in relationship with Him in a long time.
I only hope the closeness will continue, and I look forward to continuing to learn about His Presence, and how much I want to be in it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment