At Crossroads, we have the privilege of having summer interns to volunteer with us. These are typically college kids from around the city, with a free summer, who want to do some meaningful work.Really by default, I ended up with the task of managing our two interns. And it was a huge blessing to me! The two girls, Amy and Puneet, really pitched in and gave their all, and let me tell you, not every task I gave them was very exciting or easy. Internships here are more like glorified volunteers rather than getting real-world job experience as you would (hope to, anyway) in an internship in the States.
The girls came right at crunch time for World Refugee Day, and stayed about two months. They hadn't known each other before, but quickly became friends. They did all kinds of tedious jobs in the sun, not to mention tedious tasks on the computer. But all were things that needed to be done, and helped us out tremendously.
They 'graduated' from their internship last week, and as I watched them receive their certificates, I felt like a mother watching her kids. And afterwards, they sought me out for hugs, and told me, without my prompting, how much they liked their time spent at Crossroads, and with me, and it really warmed my heart to hear such things. I also had to write them each letters of recommendation, and I had to curb my enthusiasm because I just had so many nice things to say about them.
Even though it is an internship program, it is still a ministry and I am very glad to have been able to work so closely with them both.

No comments:
Post a Comment