Saturday, January 10, 2009

Releasing the Inner Y'all

Since my fellow Texan, Kara, was missing Tex Mex food, I promised to bring back to Hong Kong with me tortillas and Velveeta cheese (has to be velveeta because you can't get real cheese to melt like that). So, Kara, and Christy (who is another American), and Josh, who is an honorary American as he did his undergrad and grad school at Baylor, and I gathered last night for some yummy Tex Mex. Christy made her famous guacamole, I made the taco meat, Kara brought the salsa to mix with the Velveeta, and also corn chips she found (not Tostitos, but still good!), and Josh brought the piece de resistance -- the Dr. Pepper!! (It's imported from the U.S.) We piled our food on a tiny wooden shelf/table thing I have, and crowded around enjoying the queso, tacos, guacamole, tortillas, Dr. Pepper, and just had fun. We reminisced about life in Texas and America, since none of them have been to the States in a long time. It was a really fun time of fellowship, and they just were so happy to have tortillas again. Tex Mex is just a comfort food they had not enjoyed in a such a long time. Just five dollars spent at H-E-B for some tortillas and Velveeta made a huge impact in Hong Kong. :)

No comments: