Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Science 101

When I began college, and was was a declared English and Communications major, I couldn't understand why part of my core curriculum included three science classes. I was adamant that I didn't need to learn any more science now that I was headed on a career path in Humanities.

Tonight, I was proven wrong. I decided to bake a piece of chicken in my tiny, play oven (as Maz calls it). I took out a small, white ceramic baking dish I had and placed my chicken in it, which I've done several times before. I set my oven, adjusted the timer and waited. I decided to add a little chicken soup to the chicken to make it a little tastier. Again, I've done this several times before.

However, this time, I waited until the chicken had about ten minutes left and then poured my cold soup on it. Well, this was a bad idea, as some may have already gathered. My hot dish immediately cracked down the middle, and soup began oozing out into the oven. I didn't have a towel or anything to grab the hot dish with within reach, and felt much like I was trying to stop massive bleeding as I pushed the sides of the dish together to keep the soup from spilling out.

I finally was able to spoon out the chicken and soup mixture into another bowl while holding the dish together. And sadly, I said goodbye to this old friend, my white baking dish, which has served me faithfully for so long.

In an effort to see the deeper meaning of this, I've been thinking about the importance of all the little lessons in life. They all form this extensive fabric of knowledge we each have, and and whether we like it or not, this knowledge comes in handy even when you may discount certain life experiences as insignificant or forgettable. All I can say is, I wish I'd paid better attention in my science classes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

First, I would have done the same thing (pour cold soup in hot soup) but I would have known why the crack happened without college science...Second, college still costs way too much to be making us take 3 sciences when say you are an english major!
Do you think that I am a little resentful? Because I am.

Anonymous said...

So was it Biology, Chemistry or Earth Science that benefited you most in the chicken before soup (versus egg?) scenario?

mazewu said...

nooOOOOO! Not the baking dish! i love that baking dish!

Suzanne said...

I know! No more shepherd's pies. :(