Normally at our weekly Bible Study, we have between 7 and 10 kids. That may not sound like many, but they can range in age from 5 to 14, and that makes it a little tricky to come up with activities that they can all enjoy. (We're also pretty limited on resources.)
Several of the kids have gone on vacation with their families, so right now we just have three kids. Liz, the other person who I lead with, and I have decided while we're low on kids we should do some different activities that are easier with a smaller group. Last week, Liz arranged a whole scavenger hunt using different verses, and ending at McDonald's down the road.
I wasn't sure how to top this, but felt pretty sure using food would be a good place to start. And let me just say right now, I totally rocked Bible Study! I got the recipe for something called Chocolate Chiffon Pie from a friend, and it's basically butter, chocolate, custard, and cookies. I looked up verses that mentioned each of these things, or at least closely mentioned them (wafers=cookies, sweet words=chocolate), then came up with verses that said things like "mix" or "pour" or "melt." So as we read each verse, we did the action in it. It was so fun!
Nobody fought over who got to stir next or who gets the first spoonful of chocolate. They got to use their hands to crush their cookies and got to mash the chocolate into the custard. Everyone was happy, and eager to do more. It was such a great afternoon! I personally was really uplifted by the time spent with the kids, and it put a happy ending on my (sort of) stressful day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Very creative. If I had a teacher like you, I'd want to go to Bible study all the time.
Post a Comment