Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Refining Fire of the Servant King

This morning, we gathered together to sing and share together, and the last song we sang was Servant King. One part says, “He calls us now to follow Him\ to bring our lives as a daily offering …\ to the Servant King.” The song is about knowing how to serve, and to follow His example. But those particular lines got me.

I’ve been reflecting for about a week on what it really means to be “all in.” I remember being home over Christmas, and our pastor made the analogy to being “all in” in a poker game, taking a chance and throwing all your chips in. Like with the Potter’s Hand song, the Servant King one also really spoke to me. It’s also been making me think of the song Refiner’s Fire (I don’t know why I keep thinking in songs lately … they’re just so catchy, I guess!). In that song, we sing about being in His refining fire, being set apart for our Master and ready to do His Will.

The season He’s been leading me through has been one of understanding what it means to be “all in.” In these songs, I am singing to Him that I am bringing my life as an offering to Him, that I am choosing to give my life into his moulding, filling and guiding process, and that I want to be refined in His fire, and formed into whatever He wants me to be, and used for His Will only.

That’s a hard thing to get your head around. I jumped into that fire when I let Him bring me to Hong Kong. And this year has had its hard times. There’s probably only a select few of you reading this who really know what it’s like to be completely on your own, 10,000 miles away from anyone you’ve ever known. You’re unable to call or email easily with people who know you and love you, you’re trying to understand and live in a culture so wholly different to your own … and you just do not feel connected to people at home, almost forgotten sometimes. But it’s been because of this that I’ve been able to focus more on Him, and He’s been able to bless me so abundantly with finances and new relationships, and a greater understanding of the world and the place He has for me in it. It’s something I hope everyone can experience some time, because it will truly change your life.

What I’m wanting to get at is, it’s a lifelong process of being in the fire, of being shaped and molded, of being formed and led to new things. It’s certainly not always an easy process, but it’s always, always a satisfying one. I have no choice but to let Him provide financially for me. I have no choice but to let Him bring new friends and encouragements in unusual ways to me. I have no choice but to ask Him for help, because there really is no one else I can go to. All these things have the makings of causing lots of anxiety, stress, and loneliness, but when I let Him have control, and am “all in,” it’s been gratifying and grown my faith in Him.

So as I head on from here, and jump back into the fire, I am thinking of how He is continuing to mold me and use me in ways I can’t even imagine. Even if I will miss my life here, and expect to say “my dun” and “mgoi sai” a few times without realising it … I know that He is taking me back through the fire and purifying my heart even more for His purposes. I need to put all my chips in, and just trust Him to take over and take my life into His potter’s hands. And that’s definitely a good thing.

No comments: