Ah …. the squally thunderstorm season has returned to Hong Kong, with flair. It has sprinkled a few times over recent weeks, and the skies have looked a bit gray, but nothing really happened until today.
Late this morning, the skies darkened until it almost looked like nightfall. The humidity was hitting a climax, and I knew that at any moment the rain would break loose. And it did. Oh, yes … it did…
I had just returned home from a quick run to the grocery store for a few bits of fruit, and was standing in my kitchen looking out the window when it all started. I steeled myself up to walk through the torrential downpour back to work. Reverting to my behaviour from last year during such storms, I threw any concerns about appearances to the wind, and rolled up my pant legs, threw on some flip flops, grabbed my flimsy umbrella, and headed out of my apartment.
Thunder roared all around, the road was a river, and I slogged through it, pelted by rain (in such storms, umbrellas don’t do much good actually). I got myself up to the building I was headed for, shook myself off, and slid into the office, wet all over. My teammates soon followed, equally drenched.
I love the rain, but it’s not too comfortable to sit around wet all day. Also, I am really hoping my apartment doesn’t flood again, like last year!

No comments:
Post a Comment