As I was driving in to work this morning, I started thinking about how my gifts have changed over the past few years. I remember in early 2004 hearing a sermon about missions (this is back when January was G5 month at Grace Point) and I thought to myself, "Go and Give are my two weakest points."
How things have changed! Since that very first mission trip to Piedras Negras one Saturday in 2004, I've now been to Mexico multiple times as well as Kenya, South Africa, and Hong Kong. And I LOVE it! I see it so much differently than I ever did before, back when I honestly thought, "That's for some people, but not for me." God really made a radical change in my heart. The trip to Kenya in 2004 was the real turning point, where I came away actually believing moving overseas could happen. Then I spent much time worrying over how hard it would be to leave here, to miss my friends, to learn a new culture and to meet new people. Wow! My mindset has really changed and God has proven to me (once again!) that when He is in charge and I follow, He does huge, great things!! I was reading in Mark last night about the Widow's Offering. And while there are many lessons in this short illustration, one is that God always gives back what you put in, and restores what you lose. Even though I went to a new place, with many adjustments needing to be made and the threat of loneliness hanging over my head, He gave me a place to live and amazing friends to join me on my journey.
And as for the gift of giving ... that's another one six years ago I would say, "That's not me!" But now, I have to watch myself to be sure I don't give away more than I can afford. I want to give to every missionary who asks. I want to donate to every food drive, clothing drive, toy drive, and whatever else you put in front of me. I want to drop money into every hand that begs. I want to buy you dinner when you tell me you want to hang out but can't because you're broke. I want to take you to the movies when you tell me you need refreshment but are trying to pay for school and can't afford even the simple things. I want to GIVE. And I love giving! It's an immense blessing to the one receiving, but also an immense blessing to me!
And I guess even another one would be discipling a new believer. I probably wouldn't have ever volunteered for that job a few years ago, but now when it happened, I was ready and excited, and I love the challenges and revelations and new friendship this experience brings me!
So there you have it. If you ever wonder or desire for God to change how you feel about certain gifts (maybe leading or discipling, or giving or missions), He can do anything! And if He wants to get you there, He will.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment