I have taken the GRE. And I am SO glad it is over!
I had such a stressful week last week besides having to study for the GRE. I didn't work out once, ate poorly and slept not nearly enough. I packed in some last minute cramming on Friday, particularly focused on math (a lot of good that did me). Saturday morning, I woke up early and went running for 30 minutes to wake up and feel good. It made me feel so much better, and it was a beautiful, quiet, cool morning.
I arrived at the testing center around 8:30 am, and though the test wasn't scheduled to begin until 9:00 am, you can begin check in when you arrive and start the test sooner, which of course I did. They are very serious about ensuring your identity, and that you are who you say you are and no one else is taking the test for you. My first hurdle, however, did not even involve the test. As part of the identity verification, you had to write out a statement that you are who you say you are. And you had to write it in cursive. I haven't written in cursive in years. It was like a 7 year old trying to learn to write. I was so slow because I couldn't remember how to do some of the letters, like a cursive capital I. Then they had us put our belongings in a locker, and for some reason none of us could get our lockers open. I finally figured out the catch, and then was the official person showing all of the other highly educated people how to open their locker.
Then they compare your signature to that on on your ID, and they also take your photo. Next, they take you into the testing room, which is dead silent and full of cubicled computer areas. You are assigned one, and then you have to watch a whole tutorial about how to use your mouse to answer questions.
Finally, it began. Essays were up first. I had 45 minutes to defend an issue (why government involvement does nothing to interfere with the integrity of the arts) and 30 minutes to critique an argument (something about eating fish to better your health). I know I did good on my essays, so it was nice to start with a confidence builder like that.
Next was math, which I was soooooo confused by. I spent so much time studying, learning formulas, taking practice tests. And the math was nothing like what I'd studied. Needless to say, I scored low on math. Oh well.
And then came verbal. I feel like I should be good at verbal, but right off on the directions, they tell you there are only 'shades of difference' in the answer choices, and you have to pick the 'best' one. Well, that's where they lost me. There are several that could work as answers, but are not necessarily the right choice. It confused me. And the vocabulary are words no one ever uses ... EVER. I did all right, but I wish I'd done better.
Finally, they make you take a test section, ie where they test out new questions on you. You aren't scored on it, so of course I didn't feel much need to try. And it was more math, so even more reason I didn't care. Of course, they offer cash incentives for those who do well, as their motivation for you to try. But really, I didn't care. I knew I wouldn't even be in the running, since I hate math.
Then it was over. You get your score automatically since it's computerized (except for the ssay, which I have to wait for the score). It took a little over three hours. Claire and I (she also took the test) headed out for a celebratory lunch. What a good feeling to be DONE. No more math for me! But now, I have to apply for grad school. But I am going to enjoy the holidays first. Yay!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Whoo hoo! Congrats on finishing...keeping my fingers and toes crossed for good test score karma. ;)
Sara
Good job! Keep running to win!
Post a Comment