Monday, November 2, 2009

Another 5K Success!

Saturday's 5K was a roaring success! I finished in 33:45, which was 15 seconds faster than my last time! Go me! :) My biggest problem, however, is I had left my ipod at work, so I borrowed one from Claire. But her earphones are the kind that wrap over your ears and they were too big for my ears and kept falling off.

The race began and ended in Joske Pavilion in Brackenridge Park. By the time I reached the first mile marker, I had to check my watch because it had gone by too fast and I couldn't believe Mile One was already over! I grabbed a cup of water, and spilled most of it on me but managed to get a few sips before trashing it. Then I promptly dropped my ipod and had to stop to reconnect it. How annoying! That, on top of the constant earphone re-adjustment, was why I will never ever leave my own ipod at work again.

Mile Two went well, but I was feeling the pain. We wound through the park, and I was anxious to see the next mile marker. Finally, I rounded a bend and there it was. Only 1.1 to go.

At around 2.8, however, my car key - which was tied in my shoelaces - fell off. I had to run backwards several paces to pick it up, and then start running again, with my shoe untied. I was praying I wouldn't trip on the laces and plant my face on the pavement.

Right towards the end there was one more water station. The kids giving water were from a high school, and all dressed the same. Their teacher wanted to take a photo, so as I came in to grab a water, all 15 teenage boys, dressed in red, rushed at me with a cup, trying to get me to take theirs. But of course, only one was lucky enough to win.

I kept running, and running and running ... where is the finish line?! Turns out, it was right around a corner. They really shouldn't do that. I need to see the end.

A school band was there, and as I came in they all started beating the drums. I could feel the punding in my bones. I crossed the line and checked the clock and also my ipod timer (this race didn't give us timing chips, so it was up to me to time myself). I was so happy with myself! Despite my few problems during the race, I still beat my previous 5K time. Hurray!

Claire and I headed off to breakfast afterward, happy with ourselves (she also beat her previous time!).

Next stop: Turkey Trot 4-Miler on Thanksgiving Day! Wish me luck. :)

No comments: