Monday, March 17, 2008

Another exciting day in HK ...

Well, due to my very long sleep yesterday afternoon, I hardly slept at all last night, but made myself get up this morning at a reasonable time so I can sleep tonight. The result is I'm starting to crash now, and it's only 3 pm. Must keep moving. Must not sleep.

So to keep myself up, if only for a few minutes, I thought I'd blog on my incredibly exciting day of nothing. The schedule at CRV is to work Tuesday through Saturday (we work with a lot of community volunteers who can only come on Saturdays, so we adjusted our work week to accomodate them). So it's Monday, and I'm off. I spent the morning getting a few groceries, and then being lazy with my roommate and watching (a pirated version of) Maid in Manhattan (just about every DVD here is pirated because they're cheaper to buy). I know this isn't the exciting stuff you were hoping to hear from me, but I promise it will get more interesting once I start work tomorrow and really settle in. I've actually been grateful that Maz (my roommate) and I are getting on so well. One thing I really missed last time being here was that my roommate was never around, and so we never hung out together or really made it feel homey. In my new flat (as they call it here), Maz and I actually cross paths and chat quite a bit. She'll never replace Kerrie (I mean that, Kerrie!), but I am so thankful our living situation is working out so well. It's only been two days, but we've really clicked, making what could have been a stressful situation not bad at all.

And all the kids I had last year have been coming by to see me, which has been really special. And as much as I loved being with them, and still love spending time with them, I am looking forward to working with adults this year in the Comms department. So far, the MD has provided a wonderful living situation, and I am continuing to pray that the work part fall into place as well.
Other than that, I'm just trying to get used to my surroundings again. I look out the window, and can't believe I'm back in Hong Kong, back at CRV. I have the window open now, and can hear all the traffic and people going by outside. It's a busy city, with several million people stuffed into such a small space. I'm getting used to looking different, being treated like a foreigner, trying to remember the money and currency conversion, dealing with the intense pollution and smog, and keeping the MD at the focus as this is the place He has called me to. It's amazing to me how He works, and where He works.

Amazing.

2 comments:

Kerrie said...

Dangit - here comes the Water Works.

Abbey Forney said...

I'm glad everything is working out so well for you. How exciting to be in China while they prepare for the Olympics!
It's Spring Break in Texas and Travis and I are using the time off from work and school to build a new compost bin and paint the dining room. Not very exciting but its good to have some time to ourselves.