Saturday, March 22, 2008

Cultural differences, and some much needed quiet time

I woke up early this morning, threw my clothes in the washer, and decided to take advantage of the beautiful morning by taking a walk. I chose a wooded path that began at the CRV (see the picture to the left) site and wound around the back end. It was so peaceful, and allowed me some much needed quiet time with the MD. It was more of a conversation than anything else, and I really enjoyed it. I prayed for various needs I was aware of, asked for the MD's guidance and discernment for my new job, and also for His will on my future in Asia to be made clear to me. I felt at such peace after our long chat, and I am so grateful for that time and hope to make that morning walk a regular thing (please pray that I can remain diligent!).

I was also able to visit the supermarket early enough to where it wasn't overcrowded yet. I was able to take my time, with no one pushing me out of the way, and really look at and think about what I was buying. It also afforded me a private moment to snap a shot of some of the odd things available for sale. While most of the things in the store are fairly normal and familiar, they have a whole section of weird soup packages, with labels that I am unable to read. I can't even tell from the picture what they are:

I was also able to spend a good long time this evening with Maz's friend, Katie, who is stopping through Hong Kong from Australia on her way to a 28 day tour of China. She's been great, and we've been comparing our cultures and words we use quite a bit. Did you know it's required of everyone in Australia to vote, and if you don't vote you get fined? I couldn't get over that. I actually thought that wasn't such a bad idea. They also call cotton candy "fairy floss" which I found odd, and there are other various word differences and cultural differences. It's really been fun learning more about Australia, since I know next to nothing about it. And it's also been another blessing to get along so well with yet another person I've just met. Below is a picture of Maz (left) and Katie (right).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful pathway! Is that near you? How great to have that kind of access to the beautiful outdoors. It's a good place to find sanity and peace. :-)

Kristy Velasquez said...

Wish I was there! I ate lunch with chopsticks while reading your blog today. It was very cultured!

Unknown said...

Did you know that cotton candy made it's debut at the world's fair and was originally called fairy floss. So ya your friend from aussie town isn't so weird and my knowledge of useless trivia still abounds!