Sunday, March 16, 2008

The Number 8

I hate being jet lagged. I laid down this afternoon for a short nap, because I was so sleepy, and ended up sleeping far longer than expected. Now I feel groggy and am hoping I'll be able to sleep tonight and get on a normal schedule.

Other than that, I had a nice day. I woke up and rode the mini-bus into Tsim Sha Tsui with Kara, the other Texan here who was also my first point of contact with CRV. It felt like old times. We attended Sunday morning "club" (the same one I went to last year), and afterward ordered take away (aka take out) food from a hole in the wall vendor. We took our boxes of satay beef and sticky rice to Kowloon Park across the road, and made ourselves comfortable on a low wall surrounded by colorful flowers within the park. We unwrapped our chopsticks and ate while people-watching.

Directly in front of us was the countdown clock to the Olympic Games. (I would have taken a picture, but had left my camera at home.) Apparently, the Olympics, primarily being held in Beijing in August, are being shared among various other Chinese cities, Hong Kong being one of them. Hong Kong will be hosting the Equestrian games. There's quite a lot of excitement about that. There is also a lot of superstition surrounding the number 8. The games begin on August 8, 2008 (8-8-08) at 8:08.08 (8 o'clock, 8 minutes, and 8 seconds). It's a very superstitious culture, to say the least.

And so other than that, I've been sleeping this afternoon. Hopefully I can be a little more social tomorrow. And hopefully I won't forget my camera again, so you can see some actual pictures of what's going on! :)

1 comment:

Jesuslovesme said...

hi
Suzanne
I love the pictures. I hope your feeling better.