Two nights ago I headed up to the far side of the property to the laundry room to collect my clothes. It’s dark back there, and as I made my way across the sidewalk, a very long creature started to cross my path. My very first thought was it was a snake and I stopped. But as it came closer (ignoring me, thankfully) I saw it was in fact a centipede. I’ve only seen a centipede a couple of times before, and those were nowhere near as big as this one. I stared at it out of morbid curiosity. So many legs! And again, it was massive.
Last night, I had yet another of many, many roach encounters. I see at least one almost every day, and I’ve gotten edgy about it now. Every time I think I see movement from the corner of my eye, or I’m lying in bed at night and I feel phantom flicks of my hair (probably just the breeze from the fan), I get tense and worried it’s a roach. And unfortunately, sometimes I’m right. They mainly stay in the bathroom/kitchen area since they tend to come in the windows. (side note: we don’t have central air, and with the intense summer heat, if you don’t crack the windows it’s even more like a sauna than normal, so closing the windows isn’t an option.) Maz headed into the bathroom to get ready for bed, and I could hear her chasing one and subsequently smashing it. I headed in there about 10 minutes later, and there was another one. “It’s the size of a cat!” I yelled to Maz as I dragged her in to kill it for me (and it was! HUGE). She just gave me a look and went after it. It was speedy, and ran all around until we couldn’t find it anymore. I decided I could wait for the bathroom. Sidney, our short-term roommate (until her apartment is ready next week) who is from Hong Kong, then went in, and a moment later she called out to me. The roach was back, and she is somehow more scared of roaches than me (hard to imagine). I couldn’t get at it to smash it, so I scrounged in the kitchen and found Raid. I spray
ed the roach, but he got away before I got a good hit. There was an all-out battle raged as I chased it around, with Sidney jumping around behind me. It ran behind things, up the wall, skittered across the toilet, and started flying (that’s right, I said FLYING ... a nightmare come true). Out of pure luck, in all its haste, it flipped on its back and during its temporary disablement I gassed him with the Raid (by this point Maz was out of bed laughing her head off at us). Sidney clung to me, yelling to gas him some more. So I did. I probably used enough Raid to kill three or four roaches, but oh well. And then I smashed him with a shoe. And then flushed him down the toilet, just to make sure. Sidney told me I was brave (funny, I know), Maz laughed some more, and I went back to my room. A while later I came out and as soon as I walked into the bathroom, the Raid fumes hit me. It will take a while for the smell to go away, since we were spraying all over the place trying to catch the roach. But I think it’s worth it.
ed the roach, but he got away before I got a good hit. There was an all-out battle raged as I chased it around, with Sidney jumping around behind me. It ran behind things, up the wall, skittered across the toilet, and started flying (that’s right, I said FLYING ... a nightmare come true). Out of pure luck, in all its haste, it flipped on its back and during its temporary disablement I gassed him with the Raid (by this point Maz was out of bed laughing her head off at us). Sidney clung to me, yelling to gas him some more. So I did. I probably used enough Raid to kill three or four roaches, but oh well. And then I smashed him with a shoe. And then flushed him down the toilet, just to make sure. Sidney told me I was brave (funny, I know), Maz laughed some more, and I went back to my room. A while later I came out and as soon as I walked into the bathroom, the Raid fumes hit me. It will take a while for the smell to go away, since we were spraying all over the place trying to catch the roach. But I think it’s worth it.

3 comments:
roaches...oh the roaches.
sorry you have to live with that. we know all too well...
still - we remember you.
That is hilarious! Amazing what God does to provide good blog material. Ha!
That reminds me of our first apartment in San Antonio! You might think about just adopting them as pets.
I don't envy you! I will pray against the evil roach forces.
Post a Comment