Monday, September 29, 2008

Tainted Goods

Periodically, Maz and I enjoy splitting a bar of chocolate and having a good old fashioned girls night where we have a long chat and maybe watch a DVD. Yesterday, I went to the local grocery store and purchased a bar of Cadbury’s chocolate (no Hershey’s here). We enjoyed it during our girls night, but then I looked at the newspaper this morning, and the front page headline reads, “Cadbury recalls 11 products after tests reveal melamine” and the list of recalled products includes the one Maz and I just ate. I think it’s probably more a part of the melamine scare and there probably isn’t a toxic amount in the chocolate, but it was still a bit disconcerting to read that 12 hours after consuming the product. And we still have some in the fridge.

If you haven’t been keeping up with the melamine scare in Asia, basically several people watered down milk used to produce baby milk powder with melamine, a chemical used in making plastics and tanning leather. Four children in China have died from the toxin, and thousands of others have been affected. It has caused the children to develop painful kidney stones. Now, melamine traces are being found in other dairy products produced in Asia, so the scare is widening but may also just be partly paranoia.

It’s been making headlines for a while now, and I guess it has now spread to candy products. Some Hong Kong supermarkets have suspended sales of M&Ms, Snickers, and Oreo chocolate candies after tests showed high concentrations of melamine in the products.

Needless to say, it’s a bit odd to have this food scare, which is bringing into question other Chinese made foods. Never a dull moment over here!

2 comments:

Kyle Burkholder said...

that is a parabolic story if i ever heard one.

ever found yourself "consuming" something only to find out after the fact that it is a negative force in your life? hmmm?

your american stomach can handle anything. you, like the rest of us, were raised on chicken nuggets, which may or may not have skipped the melamine and gone straight to plastic.

we remember you.

Anonymous said...

Yes, our bodies are highly specialized "machines". They take a heavy load of consistent abuse...it is that consistency that eventually wears our bodies down. Just read the labels and make sure that you recognize all the ingredients on it. Stick to what you know and Think you can trust. Avoid anything with milk too. Leave the rest in His Hands. I love you Suzanne and Miss You!!!