A few nights ago, a friend here had a surprise birthday party thrown for her. Her husband had let us know beforehand that she really wanted Mexican food, so we went all out to theme the party for her, complete with a pinata, sombreros, and music. Myself and another Texan, and also an "honorary Texan" offered to be on the cooking team, since we actually know good Mexican food. I opted to make enchiladas, ev

en though I've never made them before (why make them when I can go to Martha's?). I had to track down tortillas, which they do sell in the store, but they are pretty lifeless - nothing compared to homemade, thick fluffy ones back home. I also had to make my own enchilada sauce, which was a little work. After that, I cooked and shredded chicken, diced onions, and shredded lots of cheese. The finished product was pretty yummy, though of course nothing compared to the real thing. I

even got myself a Dr. Pepper (imported) for the occasion, since it really rounds out the Tex Mex experience.
In other cooking adventures, I have perfected my baked potato soup, which has quickly become a favorite of Maz's. Also, last night I made a beautiful, and delicious, fruit salad. Yum!
I actually am quite liking to cook. We'll see if I get burned out on it, or perhaps I will continue and graduate to more complicated dishes.
1 comment:
your enchiladas were better than any here...i promise. you can crave them here and then you'll have one and say, "that's good, but, strangely, not nearly as satisfying as my pseudo-enchiladas from HK"...
either way, you deserve them.
we remember you.
Post a Comment