Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Suzy Homemaker

While I have been here, I have developed cooking skills. Who knew I could cook? And while I don’t want to do it every night, I actually quite enjoy taking something from scratch and making it into something, and something good! And when I cook, I can control what is in the dish, meaning it’s always something I like. Even better!

Recently, I’ve mastered potato soup. It’s legendary. I have also learned to make killer banana bread and banana chocolate chip muffins, as well as Vietnamese spring rolls and quiche. Of course, there’s always the usual pasta dishes, and I make a mean omelette too.

Last night I made Shepherd’s Pie, and I didn’t even really use a recipe. Amazing! And mine was a roaring success! Sidebar: Why isn’t Shepherd’s Pie more popular in America?? It’s so delish! I think it may have to do with the name, so maybe we can find a more suitable-for-Americans name for it because it’s really a simple but yummy dish, with meat, carrots, onions, tomatoes, and potatoes.

This recent burst in culinary excitement has prompted Maz to call me Suzy Homemaker. I’m just glad I’m finally learning some cooking skills!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You will have to show me how to make something when you are home for Christmas.

Anonymous said...

I am very impressed! No more instant mac & cheese (I still think of you by the way). :-)