Friday, June 12, 2009

A Spirit of Self Discipline

2 Timothy 1:7 says, "For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline."

For the past few months, I have been working on running. It's been hard, but through a whole lot of "self-discipline" and praying to God for endurance, I have now worked myself up to running two miles, three times a week! Yay!

This may not be a big deal to some of you, but it is for me. I am just so proud of myself. In my former life (ie high school, 10 years ago) I was Little Miss Athletic. Specifically I was a (very) competitive swimmer. I swam 6 days a week, twice a day, and ran and did weights too. I did this for years. Sometimes I can't believe I did all that, and went to school, and made all A's. But I guess a perk of being a teenager is having endless energy. Plus, having parents and coaches who did not allow quitting as an option.

Anyhoo, my point is I have been crazy athletic in the past, and I keep meaning to recapture that so I am glad to finally be at a point where I feel I have the time and energy and motivation to do it.

The drawback right now is, I think I have shin splints. At least, that's what my self-diagnosis using information found on runnersworld.com is telling me. It's a little painful (actually, it's a lot painful) but I am going to back off for a little bit until my legs catch up with me. Apparently, shin splints are common in new runners.

Nevertheless, I am feeling proud of myself for sticking with it, even when it's hard. I am even going to run the Zoo Relay with my friends in September (only 2 miles a person) so feel free to come cheer us on on September 11 in Brackenridge Park. I love feeling the runs get easier, and feeling like I've accomplished something. Hurray for endurance and a spirit of self discipline!

1 comment:

archie said...

I've always said, "Show me a runner smiling and I'll take up running." :)

So can't help you much there, but Cora and I are praying about how many bricks to buy. God bless.

the janitor