Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Where does my help come from?

I have been sitting here pondering this road I am on. I always joke that I have no problem taking money or help from people when they offer it. I’ve gotten used to it to a degree, and have gotten over – for the most part – my pride in accepting help when people give it. Don’t get me wrong – I still am very aware of the sacrifice of giving, and am awed by people’s gifts every time I receive one, no matter how big or small. I just have grown a little more accustomed to accepting help when it is offered.

But I also sometimes feel like a child getting help from my parents when people give me help, sort of like a stubborn kid who doesn’t want to admit they need help, but also has to suck it up and just ask for help anyway. Does that make sense? I have spent so much of my life doing things independently, and not relying on my parents to pay the way (which I actually am grateful that they have always pushed me to take care of myself and figure things out) that even though now I know I live off of God’s provision solely, sometimes those old feelings of “I can do this on my own” and “I feel weak because I have to accept help from others” creep in and put a damper on things.

So I have dug into the Bible to find some words to remind me that it’s ok to ask others for help, that it is a chance to see God’s miracles for both me and the person giving, it’s an opportunity to see God’s love shown through others, and time to remember the Bible’s teachings on humility, pride, and how with God on my side, what do I have to fear?

Here are my findings.

1 Cor 12:28 talks about the spiritual gifts we all have (my biggest one is administration). One of the gifts listed is “those able to help others.” This has given me pause. While God gifts us each differently – teaching, prophecy, healing, apostles, etc – He also gifts some with the ability to help others. I know this isn’t strictly financial help, and I don’t expect all the provision He sends me to be entirely made of money. But it encourages me to know there are people He has specifically given the calling of helping others.

Romans 8:26 (one of my personal favourites) reminds me that “the Spirit helps us in our weakness.” While I know I have many weaknesses, in this particular instance I know one thing that I am weak in is finances. As the Word clearly says, the Spirit helps me in such weakness – God knows this is something I need help on, and His Spirit will bring me what I need, when I need it.

Colossians 3:12 tells me, “As God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.” I think we can all stand to administer these words in our lives, but for me the ones that stand out the most right now are “humility” and “patience.” I think patience is one of the trickiest things to pray for, because God immediately leads me into very patience-trying circumstances and it can be so frustrating. But I need to practice patience as I wait on Him. As for humility … well, it takes humility to accept help from others. Rather than feeling like I’ve failed in some way and now have to accept help from my friends, I instead need to remember this is God at work, and has nothing to do with me but instead is His greater purpose at stake. I need to humble myself before Him, and not pridefully think this has anything to do with me. My need to raise support is just another way for Him to express not just to me but all those supporting me and witnessing His work that He is the great Provider and can do so much more than we ever think He can.

Finally, I cling to Psalm 118, particularly verses 6-7 which say, “The Lord is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me? The Lord is with me; he is my helper.” I think that pretty much sums it up.

So I will continue to remind myself that God knows my needs, that He wants me to learn patience and work on my humility, that He has gifted those already with His Spirit of helping others, and that He is on my side.

I already feel better. I’ll let you know how He moves this week.

No comments: