Friday, April 17, 2009

Bridging the Communication Gap

To make a very long story short, we had a big print run to do and it also needed cropping. There are lots of little hole-in-the-wall type places that provide this service, but the one I used (and have used before) got it completely wrong so I had to go back today and have it re-done. Both times I took along my friend Annie who is Chinese, because I needed a Cantonese speaker who could explain everything to them, so they wouldn't get it wrong again. This also involved taking taxis, another area where it makes a big difference having a native speaker.

As we were leaving the print shop, Annie asked me how I usually get things done without Chinese speakers. I thought about it, and told her what I tend to do in these situations is use lots of hand gestures and pointing, and sometimes drawing is involved and if I hit a brick wall then I call someone who is bilingual and me and the person I'm trying to talk to will hand the phone back and forth while my friend on the line translates.

You really can communicate with anyone, despite languages. Of course, it's vastly more convenient to have a Cantonese speaker with you to translate, cutting down on possible errors in communication and it definitely saves time. But I also have fun with all the hand waving, charades, speaking (badly) my few words of Cantonese that I know, and so on. And it's always great fun when you both realise you've communicated with each other - both our faces will light up and we are instantly friends.

Taxis and other hired vehicles can be the most interesting. Usually the more blue collared jobs have fewer English speakers. I once had a taxi driver teach me how to say some words. It was fun! Tonight I had a taxi drive who was very chatty (trying to practice his English). In situations like that, you always need to tell them "You're English is very good!" They love that, and it's always true because anyone who can speak both Chinese and English - two wholly different languages, more so than two Western languages would be - is doing quite well. He had the impression I was from London, so I went with it. He even gave me the number for a taxi service in London that I should use, so I'm all set. He wanted to know how long I had lived here and what work I do. It was a really great conversation.

I even one time, at the library, had an older man come up to me to help him pronounce "Reservations" and "Book Drop." They love to practice their English, and get so excited when you help them. They get even happier when you speak Chinese. They always do a double take and definitely commend the effort. But it can be so funny!

Other times in taxis (I don't really take them that much, despite how it sounds here) you have to find one road name or building you know for sure they will know in English, like "hospital" or "Hyatt Hotel." This may mean I have to think of what landmark is near where I want to go. They won't usually know too many English phrases, so I have to say "Gold Coast" and when they get near where I live, I start pointing up ahead where to stop (which is sometimes hazardous as they tend to stomp on the breaks because they think I want them to stop right at that moment). You also say "ok" a lot, for everything. "Ok" and "thank you, bye bye" are the most common English words I hear people say.

Anyway, I digress... my point is, you can communicate even without the same language. You become instant friends with people when you each get a point across without actually understanding the words the other person is saying. Even today, observing Annie dealing with the printers, just watching their gestures and faces, and knowing a few words here and there, I could tell more or less what they are saying.

I guess the key is not letting any of it intimidate you. I know when I first came here, it was a bit overwhelming. You can't even try to sound words out because they are Chinese characters. You always stand out because you look different, and everybody notices you. And it can be frustrating trying to explain something to someone, especially something important or something you need in a hurry, and the other person has no idea what you are saying (and you have no idea what they are saying). But after a while, it gets easier, and you become used to it, and you have your methods for communicating that work best for you. And it can actually be fun, and is always an interesting experience.

It will be so weird to be in the States where people will know what I am saying. I think it will actually be a little boring, not having the added communication divide.

No comments: