Sunday, April 5, 2009

It's Not in the Details

If you have never had the experience of worshipping in a foreign country, then you are missing out on an awesome experience.

I think this every Sunday night as I sit in a wooden chair inside the red brick hall of St. Andrew's Church in Tsim Sha Tsui in Kowloon. Tonight was no different.

The leader was a young Australian guy named Darren, leading us through the bulletin announcements and giving us a preview of the night's sermon. Worship was led by five people, the leader and two singers Chinese as well as a Western guy on a guitar and another singing. There were two readers, Chinese, sharing from Luke's gospel, their English heavily accented. The youth pastor also came up to share with the congregation about the youth's mission trip to the Philippines, leaving tomorrow. The youth pastor, also named Darren, is Irish and has the heaviest accent I've ever heard. It makes me smile, and he's so on fire for God. Then the pastor, an Australian named John, got up to preach about Palm Sunday, his corny jokes surprisingly funny and apt, but also his message deeply meaningful and heartfelt.

The worship was awesome, with many songs I knew and some I didn't. The lady behind me was singing so loudly, and so off key and sometimes even the wrong words that it was hard for me to focus on anything else, but at least she was making her joyful noise and I eventually was able to re-focus on the worship itself. Most of the congregation is Chinese, with some Westerners and Filipinos mixed in. I love to look around at the hands raised to God, the people's eyes closed and their faces intent on their worship.

In a place like this, where Christianity isn't a popular religion, the people who do choose to attend church really want to be there, and you can feel the difference. It isn't a matter of checking a box, or coming to church because they are 'good' people and that's what 'good' people do, or because they feel it is expected of them. They could be doing any number of things in this huge city on a Sunday night, but they choose to worship and learn about God. And it makes for a different atmosphere. I love it.

The worship team isn't polished in their transitions or playing. The singers aren't trained vocalists. The microphone for the pastor doesn't always work properly. But it doesn't matter. The desire is so strong to meet God in that place, that all those trivial details fall away. I love the music. I love the preaching. I even love hearing the woman out of tune singing loudly in my ear. Because these people love worshipping the Lord, and we are united as we seek His face together each Sunday night. Church is definitely one of the things I will miss most (as well as dinner with Laura at Jordan Curry House afterward!).

2 comments:

archie said...

Tonight your hit counter registered 637 hits. Anytime "37" pops up that's a good thing for me. It brings my thought briefly back to the creator. Your blog about church in HK sounded much like the small Baptist mission I grew up in. Thank you!

Space Coyote said...

Love the title of this entry. Just the phrase I have been looking for in relation to so much stuff here.