In my gearing up to return to America, I was looking on Yahoo movies to see if there was anything I wanted to go see when I get back.
I've never heard of a single movie in the top ten. I feel so out of the loop. Actually, over my thirteen months here I have periodically checked the movies and I usually only recognize one or two. It's like when I was on the plane home over Christmas, and some of the TV shows that I could watch I'd never heard of, but when I was watching TV at my parents' house, it turns out these are really popular TV shows. I just had never heard of them.
It's not that we don't get movies in HK. Quite the contrary. But usually release dates are a little later here for movies (like lots of movies that came out Christmas Day in the States just came out a month ago here), or the movies released here are only the really big blockbuster ones, like Ironman or Narnia, and the others are Chinese films. I guess they have to cater to what would sell the most here, and that isn't necessarily the same as what would sell in the U.S.
I don't really feel like I've missed anything. Sure, I didn't see He's Just Not That Into You, but am I really missing out? I don't think I am. I'm sure once I'm home, and there are a million movies at my fingertips, all in English!, I will be happy to go see the top ten. But I don't get TV here either, and I don't feel that my life is any less fulfilling because I have never seen the show Big Bang Theory or even know what it is (I had to google it just now because I couldn't think of what that show was called, but know I've heard of it). And, if I really need to catch up on The Office (which sometimes, admittedly, I do), then I can always watch it online, and it's more of a fun treat than a dire necessity.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Uh...those are all dumb shows and movies. Don't worry. There will be plenty of ways to re-acclimate you. For movies, There's Wolverine, GI Joe, Star Trek just to name a few...
Suzanne,
Look at it this way. Tv and movies are dumb, they are time fillers/eaters. Ask yourself..is your life richer for the choices you have made? Is having been in the mission field WAY better than spending time and money on entertainment that is just put out to make money and win the popular vote?
God has so much more for you, my friend. When you come home, you will catch up with whatever you want to catch up with as you can rent movies out of a machine for $1 now..or not.
I admire you for uprooting your life here in the USA and answering the call God has for you. No tv or movie will ever replace that.
Love ya,
Sara
p.s. He's just not that into you was really not worth the $9 I paid to see..wait till it hits rental for $1. Your life will be richer, I assure you. :)
Absolutely. I really don't miss those things at all. It was just an observation. I'm happy being out of the loop. :)
See, there is life after CSI :)
I hardly ever go to the movies anymore because i don't have money and they are dumb like kerrie said!=)
Post a Comment